Tuesday, 17 November 2009

Writing Styles Blog Entry Extracts One

Midnight. A silhouetted party emerges from the darkness in slow motion. A sea of silver, black and white come to life as the commotion begins. Meeting and greeting occur until the beat kicks in and a dance floor is naturally formed. At first just three girls brave the dance floor whilst more and more join in their flow, until eventually everyone, including the DJ come together to enjoy a fabulous party.


Humphrey (1951) said “The dancer with conviction has power; many a dance of poor quality has been “put across” just by the superb belief of the performer in the work.....if you believe in yourself, everybody else probably will, too”. A dancer needs to attain confidence in their work and a perfect solution in order to achieve confidence in dance is to gain as much performing experience as possible.


The YEM Theatre School proudly presents their latest street jazz number to Evacuate the Dancefloor, choreographed by Lucy Clark. The senior dance class will be performing at 7pm on Sunday 22nd November at Ancells Farm Studios amongst the School's latest solo musical theatre work. Tickets are only £3.00

6 comments:

  1. Hello i really like your first piece of writing clearly descriptive writing, it pulls you in i can't wait to read more from it. I like your statement from Humphrey it's very powerful and as for the marketing writing it's short and precise everything i have researched for marketing writing.
    Do you feel that 500 words is alot of writing for a marketing piece? I feel that anymore than 200 words and it loses the reader, i imagine what i would put on a leaflet or a poster and i would not put 500 words?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I agree with Abbi. I like what you have done. I'm finding 500 words to be a hell of a lot of words!!! As what you need to say can be written in 200-300 what do you say for the rest without making it less interesting to read?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly i think that we should just use it as a guide line and do what we have researched which is short and precise.
    I dont find it hard to write more i just find it boring to read back to myself. After emailing my test-run marketing piece to a friend who is working for a major marketing company he told me it was to long and would never attract an audience of people!
    So i think i will stick to what i hve researched, short and precise!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. having missed the campus day on this i thought i'd get straight to work, asap.
    These were only extracts from my writing pieces, as I did read in our handbooks that that's all you needed to put on here, but since seeing everyone elses blogs; i've gathered the status quo is to put it all on.

    Yes i agree, 500 words is a lot, i got about half way, thought it was enough, word checked it and was only on 250 words!!! but nevertheless i will fight for the 500 grudgingly.

    thank you for your comments

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading these extracts Lucy. By posting just a short paragraph of each, you really highlight the contrast between the three written styles. I hope that other BAPP students have read this blog entry as I feel it is a clear example of what the task wants us to achieve.

    I liked the structure of your academic paragraph: firstly relaying Humphrey's quotation, and then summarising it for the reader in your own words. I was also impressed with your descriptive piece. The use of a single-worded opening sentence is a great device for drawing the reader in. It makes us really take note of the fact that it is midnight, especially as you then go on to support this in your second sentence through the words "sillouetted" and "darkness".

    I would love to read the full versions of your essays. With regard to the previous comments about a 500 word marketing piece, although it can be a challenge to maintain the impact of our writing, we should remember that this writing technique is used in many different formats. Although 200-300 words may suffice for a leaflet, marketing is used in many areas aside from this (such as websites, brochures and press releases). In some of these cases, it is necessary to pass on a lot of information on your product, posing the challenge of communicating its features in more detail, but with the same level of impact. I therefore feel that this exercise is useful for us, as the marketing written style is not always limited to 200-300 words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Laura for your very detailed comments, I have since completed each essay and they are now finally on my blog (been having internet issues) I allowed my marketing piece to change into a leaflet form, giving more detail about the show, which gave more leeway for extra words, helping me to reach my word count.

    ReplyDelete