Since starting the BAPP course back in September 2009, I have learnt so many ways to progress, explore and reflect upon my own professional practice. The course has taught me skills, which will stay with me throughout my career.
I have been opened up to a whole new world of networking and blogging. I would never have even considered a blog if it wasn't for this course. Now I am considering starting new blogs for other areas of my life as well.
Delicious, Google Docs and Skype are further ways of networking recently brought to my attention which I didn't use before the course. Delicious has been great for bookmarking websites and viewing websites others have saved. Google Docs has allowed me to back up my work and share documents with my work colleagues. Skype has enabled me to keep in contact with friends and peers, when nowadays most of us don't have time to meet up frequently.
When reflecting on the tasks I have completed, they have taught me a lot about myself and my practice. We were asked back at the start, to look at our backgrounds, education and training and see where it has led us today. We created a CV for our blogs and looked at different writing styles. We looked at the Kolb cycle and learned how to apply it to previous experiences.
The skills I learned allowed me to achieve things I never thought I was capable of. For example I organised and helped create the website for one of the schools I teach for. This is the school in which I conducted my research for 3861. The website took several months to complete but is up and running today. I also ran my own Musical Theatre Easter and Summer schools and blogged the journey of these online. Running my own business was hard work, but the reflective skills I have gained allowed me to improve for the next time. I shall hopefully be running another one this Easter. Finally, I ran a field trip to London for my students, organising every detail, including meals, a class and a show. I also organised two extra speciality classes during the holidays, none of which I feel I could have done without the skills gained through this course. It has made me think more logically and academically when considering my practice.
On reflection of all the modules, this last module has by far been the hardest, yet definitely the most exciting. I was able to incorporate a huge amount of my practice into my work. When we were told last term we would have to write 12,000 it seemed like a distant dream and not a reality. I don't think I realised back then, how much work that would entail, especially considering all the set backs I endured since. It was also made much harder when working full time across nine jobs.
Reading published texts throughout the literature review made me aware how much information is out there. It really is finding the time to have a look which is the problem. There is so much out there to read. Some that I found to be very influencing, such as “paying attention to what one is doing” having sensory awareness, “and then reflecting on what one notices” (Stinston via Hanna, 1994:1). After certain classes, it would be helpful to see what worked and what didn't and be able to try new things. Working this way is guaranteed to improve one's practice.
Generally in life, I noticed I can be easily persuaded. This degree course has opened my eyes to questioning rather than accepting, though it has possibly got me into trouble already I wish to continue thinking this way. I have grown and become more open and assertive in my relationships, which I am sure can develop further. Looking back to how I was at college, I was often very closed. If I were to complete my diploma again, there would be certain things I would change and do differently. Having said that, I certainly have no regrets.
Lastly, I think when I started this course I didn't have a clue what it would involve or how much of an effect it would have over me and my career. It's a great course, but not easy. I hope it continues to affect my practice and life for the better, helping me to achieve where I want to go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment