I am currently choreographing my first ever ballet for YEM Theatre School with around 40 children. You may remember my Alice in Wonderland posts from a while back, when I was in the research of ideas and themes and characters. Rehearsals are now well under way but still have a long way to go.
The music was my first starting point. So, iTunes was an absolute must to download music, but also Spotify to test it out and listen to it first. Of course being me, I didn't just look for classical music, I searched through a few themes and ideas to collect my final play list. I have incorporated tracks from Madonna, De Bussy, Hartly and Eurythmics so as you can tell; quite a diverse range. I integrated tracks to create my story line and cut the music accordingly. I now have a two act ballet of four minutes per act. From past shows ballet has always been the slow down for a fast paced show, but not this year I hope. Especially since this is the first ballet to include "street ballet"!
I took some photos of rehearsals in action (with permission) just to document the work taking place. I am working with five different classes. Each group meanders around the choreography I just hope it will work once all dancers are put together. Not only have I got the five ballet classes, but also three jazz groups to build up numbers (as we lost some students after the last unethical teacher).
No comments:
Post a Comment