Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Learning Diary Four Wednesday 21st April

An extremely useful campus session yesterday. Being able to discuss freely with your peers and tutors really helped me understand the areas I was stuck on. I would like to thank Sophie Gilbert for explaining some of the proposal points to me and I would like to also thank Peter for clarifying those points as well as clearly explaining my idea in another light.

I keep seeing on the advisor blogs and campus session slide shows about "not being too vague" with your idea. No one wants you to save the world with your research as you are likely to take a lifetime trying to. I always seem to think "yes that's so obvious, I'm not with my project; I'm being reasonable" but really I wasn't. I now know how I can specify my research even further thanks to Peter.

I am looking at "the best methods of teaching my choreography to female street-jazz students aged 14 to 20", which has been narrowed down from "best methods of teaching choreography". What I hadn't considered and even since sending in my proposal draft, was what determines these "best methods"?

How do you measure this?

What specifically do I want to look at?

So since this light bulb realisation I have decided on "accuracy". The accuracy of my dancers performing a choreography will be measured and experimented with. I will determine an average first and see if this is improved by changing my teaching methods. Looking back at my previous notes, accuracy was one area I wanted to look into.

I am quite excited about starting this experiment.

The methods will be developed from the survey I carry out on professional dancers, and from their experience try to create some new and varied ways of teaching a choreography to the group.

Lots will need to be done in terms of ethics for filming these classes during the experiment, but I'm looking forward to preparing it over the Summer.

2 comments:

  1. Lucy - couple of words to describe well and unpack in your proposal - experiment - I use word intervention - Handbook says quasi experiement - just what do you mean by it?

    And 'best' are these the methods that get specific results ? clarify

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I guess I do mean quasi experiment, I am manipulating the variable of teaching methods and assessing the outcome.

    "best" are the methods that gain accurate results which shall me measured. The measurement of mistakes made per choreography. An average gained initially then the variable of method changed and see if this alters the results with more or less mistakes made.

    Is this any clearer at all and good enough for the proposal, or have I missed the point?

    Thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete