If I were to do a project on "the most effective methods of teaching a class a choreography/dance routine" then this could potentially benefit myself as a teacher/choreographer, the classes I teach, the schools I teach for and also other teacher/choreographers. (Note; this title will need redrafting so it is accurate to what I research)
I would use an age group that I regularly teach, though this will bring ethical and parental permission issues. I teach students over 16, but not as many.
There is already lots of information about how to teach dance, but not specific to choreographers, which is where my research might strike.
- I could look at successful past/present choreographers and find out details of how they worked to achieve results.
- I could take surveys/interviews of dancers on how they believe they learn best with choreography.
- I could experiment with different processes and observe which works best.
- I could observe other teachers and how they work with their classes.
- I could interview choreographers and teachers.
So many options! Too many? Useful? Pointless? Does this interest anyone else or just me? Comments if you would please.....
Hey Lucy, i like your topic as i very much enjoy choreogrphy too. I was never very good at choreography ay college, i always thought other people would find my ideas syupid and never really had that much inspiration. I this this was due to the fact that my previous teacher did the same old thing over and over and at college we didnt have this opportunity. It was always more about picking up teachers choreography that was more important.
ReplyDeleteHave you considered researching whether dancers have learnt the skills to choreograph from their professional training or if dancers after training or who havnt had training have the skills to choreograph because of experimenting and natural tallent? Also i think it would be interesting to know what students/children find are the most interesting choreographys, for example those with specific genres, music or storyline. I always now hear music and it inapires me to choreograph, i normally choose the genre, story and costume around a good song.
Hope this helps anyway :-)
Thanks Abbi, I'm glad to hear your interest for my topic. I've always enjoyed choreographing since I was about 4 in the garden with friends, through to 14 when I was asked choreographed for my first big show. Since then my passion had grown even more and with access to teach dancers my choreography I have revelled in it and seen an improvement looking back at my old work.
ReplyDeleteRegarding your ideas, they are both areas I haven't really looked at. I am interested in the benefits it should have looking at myself as the choreographer with a group of dancers rather than how dancers learn to choreograph. So I am more interested in how a dancer best picks up the choreography rather than them themselves choreographing. As to it's relevance I'm not certain, but it could be an interesting tangent.
I like your second idea, as I always find that if I love a choreography I'm being taught I put more effort in to learn it and really enjoy performing it, so this would definitely be of interest in finding out styles my students enjoy etc.
Thank you for your comments and help!! Much appreciated.
No problem. I like that you have thought about how it's about you and choreography as it shows you have drive and interest. I think that it will benefit you as a choreographer to know how people pick up choreography and you have access to these people.
ReplyDeleteHows Alice going?
Yes exactly, which is why I included the "picking up question" as I think this area can affect confidence as a dancer, enjoyment and career.
ReplyDeleteWe now have Easter break for Alice, but I'm going to be researching the mime aspect of ballet (which I know nothing about) and also costumes. I have now started teaching other groups their sections (which is where it has begun to get complicated) other than that it's going very well, thank you for asking! x