Wednesday, 14 October 2009

What Can I Learn From This? Please help if you can!

I've just graduated and without a relevant agent for the jobs I actually want, I am scouring the net searching for audition after audition, applying and waiting to hear. To get an actual response and getting to the audition stage is a small miracle in itself. In normal job terms it's just the interview part. So I got one through Spotlight, which I recently went to. I came fully prepared, did everything that needed to be done, got down to the last round and am now waiting to hear. So that was my experience. However today my success was rained upon when I was out with friends and one mentioned the certain company I had recently auditioned for is blacklisted and that she was told she should stay away. The second part of my "concrete experience".

Reflecting on this situation later today, I was firstly very upset, because just when I think things are starting to look up in the start of my career, everything falls down again and I'm back to square one. On one hand I might find out that I haven't got the job so this isn't even an issue, but what if it turns out I have? What should I do? Has anyone else been in this situation? I'm sure within this industry much of this "blacklisting" goes on, and I am only just beginning to get to grips with it. Since reading Alan's post of quotes from previous students of this course, they've already helped me look at this situation differently; rather than get upset; what can I learn from this?

So the concluding part and learning from my experience i.e abstract conceptualisation, I am not actually very sure. It might be possible some of you have come across this dilemma, and I would be grateful to hear what you did in this situation. Then I can go on to the "active experimentation" part of my cycle and try out what I've learnt! Thanks in advance!


21st October Update

Since I posted the above I checked with Equity to find out if the company was ok and they are. In conclusion, if this problem were to occur again, straight away I would contact equity. I have learnt from this experience to not always take seriously what "friends" say and how to deal with this situation in future. So, that's the abstract conceptualisation done. I shall wait to continue to the next part of the cycle.


7 comments:

  1. Hi honey,i wouldn't know about spotlight but what i would do is maybe contact spotlight ask them for some details about the company including fees and then look for other people that have spotlight as an agent, that way you could try and blog them and ask them yourself about what they think about the company.I also would decide if your friend really knows what she's talking about, how does she know this?The dance world is very competitive and friends are friends until it's audition time right.Plus their are many agents in the Contacts book that you can send your cv's off to,it's only one company even if they are blacklisted.I know it's hard when you feel your getting nowhere & you will feel like that but so will more than half the people your up against in the auditions.Have you thought about changing your frame of mind when your auditioning?When i went to an audition that i really really wanted i never got it because i made myself so nervous & when i went to one's on the off chance or for a class they were the jobs i got.Think about the way you look,make yourself slightly different to everyone your in an audition with,you are likely to be remembered for being different,make notes on what other people are wearing so you fit in & look like your experienced in auditions not fresh out of training.
    Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy, I saw your post and then saw you went to Urdang which is where I went so I felt obliged to give you some advice.
    Firstly, it's perfectly fine at this stage to not have an agent, I graduated with an agent but then changed agents as I wasn't happy, but you can apply for agents whilst applying for jobs. Do you have to actors yearbook? That is great for telling you about agents and company and it also has a section which tells you what compnay's are auditioning and when so you can write to them in advance. Now as far as the company you auditioned for the best thing to do is contact equity. I was never a member of equity to begin with but when I got my first job I signed up as I was having problems with my pay and they really helped me out. You don't need to be a memebr just to talk to them though, just phone them up, look at the link on my blog that leads to there website and number and mention the company name and what you have heard and they will help you and advise you. Also don't forget the person that told you may have just been saying it to bring you down, I dont know how close a freind they are but what I have learnt from being out in the industry is that alot of people will do things like that through jelousy, despite weather they are youre supposed friends or not. Anyway hope this helps....so tell me...who still teaches at Urdang...Paul Hack still there? Who Else? I did my teachers essay on Paul hack and Carl Parris and was laughing to myself at all of Pauls phrases, Buff It Out! ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your detailed response, I'm on the Equity website now and I am a member so hopefully I'll get the info i need.

    Urdang ..... yes the beloved paul hack is their and his dog Vivian (as in Westwood and it's a boy!) He's great and he has soooo many phrases now. Did you go to college with a Lynsey McDougall, she's Scottish and trained at Urdang but now works in the office for them and as Paul's assistant choreographer. Carl seemed to not be there for my whole three years, yet he was spoken about frequently, funnily enough though, i walked past college the other day and he was teaching the second years!! so i guess he may be back maybe temporarily

    thank you again for your advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first message was to Rebecca, ( I read them in reverse order whoops! This is for Abbi, thank you your also very detailed response, I am definitely gonna take on board what you said about audition outlook, im a very negative person and a worrier. I agree with your comment about the jobs you care less about you usually end up getting, thats happened a lot to me already, the ones i think are a waste of time i do better in. It's all psychological! Thank you again I appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lucy, Paul Hack has DOG!!! when did this happen! How fabulous!! Yes lynsey was two years above me and began working in the office while I was there shes a lovely girl. Its great that parris is back as hes so good. How are you finding this course? I didnt think the work load would be quite as much! Im heading to Taiwan on a six month contract any day now so im worried as to how i am going to fit it all in!! Do you understand the whole KOLB learnong cycle thing?? I find it soooo confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He does indeed and he's lovely, very Paul Hack esq
    Course is good, i'm glad i'm doing it and i agree, i didn't expect this much work, it's ongoing. good luck with your contract, is it a cruise?
    Were you at the class where we learned about Kolb last week? If you look at some of our blogs we break each bit down a bit more, look at Laura Davitt entry on Kolb or Alys Spencer theirs are both good explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turns out after checking with equity that the company are fine, and I was offered the job and I've accepted it! Though now I won't be making the next two campus sessions which is a little worrying, since I don't know if I'd have coped without going to the last one.

    ReplyDelete